Blogs > All About Milford and Orange

If you live, work, or simply just care about Milford and Orange, this is the site for you. We'll provide you with interesting news about these communities. Most importantly we want to hear from you. Feel free to contact City Editor Helen Bennett Harvey, at hbennettharvey@nhregister.com or Brian McCready, Milford Bureau Chief, at bmccready@nhregister.com

Monday, June 2, 2008

A legend in her own time: Liptak

Liptak retires,marking end of era

By Christopher Brunau
Special to the Register
MILFORD
— Patricia Liptak, the city’s animal control officer and shelter drector, is retiring after 22 years on the job, and colleagues said it will be almost impossible for someone to fill her shoes.
Since Liptak started, many changes have been made to bring the city’s animal control department from a small “hole in the ground” as she put it, to what many people consider to be one of the best shelters in the area.
“I can say it is definitely the cleanest,” Liptak said. Liptak’s friends and colleagues attended a retirement party recently, and said she has a very strong work ethic and desire to help both animals and people.
Assistant Animal Control Officer Rick George, a co-worker and friend for 19 years, said, “First, second and third off, I am going to miss her terribly, and I wish she would continue to work until I am ready to retire.”
He also added, “Milford is a better place because of Pat; we wouldn’t be where we are today if it weren’t for her.”
George went on to share one of his favorite memories with Liptak, saying “years ago there was a really bad hurricane and there was a lot of flooding, and Pat and I went out in the van to see if any animals were in danger. Back then, Pat used to smoke so her window was wide open, and just as a wave came I timed it perfectly and did a U-turn to get her soaked.”
Through the years, Liptak has worked on such issues as child safety, feral cat programs, working to help disabled children, as well as school programs.
“The best thing is always finding a place for an animal and rescuing it. The worst is to see the cruelty to animals, and how mean some people can be. It was also very difficult seeing animal collectors, people with 30-40 cats, because we often had to take them away from the owner and it is devastating to them because that’s their life,” she said.
Liptak said she will be looking forward to spending time with her grandchildren. She also said, “I am looking forward to not having to be at a certain place at a certain time early in the morning.
“I am grateful to the city of Milford for allowing the department to grow, and giving me a chance to bring the department to what it is today.”
Liptak’s successor will be named today by Mayor James L. Richetelli Jr.
“I already know who it is, and I am sure they will do a great job and continue to improve our department,” Liptak said.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat Liptak is an asset to Milford and will be missed.
I remember when I first moved to Milford - my dog escaped the first Sat after I moved in. She was found by a kind soul and brought to Ms. Liptak's home (we lived close to each other). To make a long story short - I picked up my dog at her home around Midnight. A true animal lover - and again thank you for your kindness!

June 6, 2008 at 9:11 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home